In partnership with the Cultural Alliance of Greater Birmingham, the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama (EDPA) Foundation is holding a state-wide poetry contest. Contestants are asked to submit an original composition on the theme of innovation and creativity in Alabama. Three finalists will be asked to present their work at the Innovation Awards Ceremony Dinner, September 25, where the evening’s attendees will vote on the winner. The winner will be announced the following day at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Center, named Poet Laureate of the 2014 conference, and asked to read his/her winning entry as part of the day’s activities. Deadline: August 29, 2014.
1.DEADLINE: All submissions must be submitted electronically by August 29, 2014. Notification to all, including finalists: September 12, 2014. Finalists’ reading: Thursday evening, September 25, 2014. Poet Laureate announced: Friday morning, September 26, 2014.
2. WHO CAN PARTICIPATE: Participants must be 18 and over and must reside, study, and/or conduct business in the state of Alabama. Participants must commit to traveling if selected as finalists to read their poems in Birmingham on September 25 & 26, 2014.
3. THEME: Submit a poem relating to the theme of innovation and creativity in Alabama. The poem may be in free verse or rhymed, in a traditional form or contemporary, literal or abstract. Contestants may find it helpful to keep in mind the EDPA is a state-wide organization and does not promote one geographic area of the state over another.
4. PRIZES: $100 will be awarded to two finalists and $250 for the finalist who wins the contest. The winner will also receive a commemorative artwork. The three finalists may attend the full conference at no expense. All other participants must register and pay the $250 fee. This includes dinner on September 25th and the conference on September 26th.
5. POETRY MANUSCRIPT REQUIREMENTS: Submit a one-page poem that is a maximum of three minutes in length when read aloud. The poem must have a title, even if it is “Untitled.” Your name/identifying information must not appear on the poem—only on the required cover form.
6. SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY: Include the required entry cover form with your poem. E-mail your entry to Jessica Moody, email@example.com, Subject line: Conference Poetry Contest Submission. E-mail will be used to interact with all entrants.
Please, do not contact Economic Partnership of Alabama, the contest sponsor, by telephone with questions. If, after carefully reading the instructions, you still have questions, please e-mail the contest contact, Jessica Moody, at the Cultural Alliance of Greater Birmingham using the words POETRY CONTEST in the subject line of your e-mail.
ABOUT ALABAMA LAUNCHPAD: Alabama Launchpad is a program of the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama Foundation. This innovative public-private partnership brings together Alabama's university, business, and economic development communities to encourage and support high-growth entrepreneurship in Alabama through a startup competition that accelerates the development of new ventures.